Re: DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nowerror

Hi Steve,

On Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 04:39:29PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Well, I'm not seeking to stand in the way of the work, so much as trying to
> make sure this is the most useful work to be doing to meet the actual use
> cases.

Thank you. I see that you are seeking a better solution and looking at
the problem from an angle that I didn't have.

In general, I don't see much consensus on my proposed option nor other
people explaining that it'd be useful to them.

> I can see that for bootstrapping a new architecture, it will sometimes be
> useful to use a toolchain newer than the one that is currently default in
> Debian, and as a result it is useful to also be able to bypass new stricter
> -Werror behavior from gcc upstream that breaks compatibility with existing
> code.

Good.

> It isn't clear to me from the discussion history that this is the actual use
> case at issue.  But supposing it is, that's one use case; and it's a use
> case that can be addressed without having to make any per-package changes
> and without having to make any changes to dpkg-buildflags interfaces by
> exporting
>
>   DEB_CFLAGS_APPEND=-Wno-error
>   DEB_CXXFLAGS_APPEND=-Wno-error
>
> as part of the bootstrap build environment, for all packages.

Thank you for proposing this solution that I did not see. It certainly
has beauty in that it really solves the problem at hand in a simple way
without expanding existing interfaces. I'm not sure whether it works in
practice, but I think that patches for making it work would probably be
accepted in the relevant packages if it doesn't.

To me, this looks like a better solution of my original problem.

Your persistence on this matter is welcome.

Helmut