Re: MariaDB 10.11 in Bookworm - call for contributions

Hi!

On Thu, 23 Feb 2023 at 08:22, Otto Kekäläinen <otto@debian.org> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> (Stop reading if you don't use MariaDB)
>
> I am currently preparing the upload of MariaDB 10.11.2-2 to Debian
> unstable and aim for the highest possible quality. I am currently
> doing the bulk of the testing and packaging alone and to make sure
> that the quality is top notch, I would be glad to see more people
> contribute.
>
> If you have time to help, please consider these (in order of importance):
>
> 1. Review current open MRs at
> https://salsa.debian.org/mariadb-team/mariadb-server/-/merge_requests
>
> 2. Review items highlighted by Debian QA systems (Lintian, builds etc)
> and submit a fix to improve the quality:
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/mariadb
>
> 3. Review what testing we have at
> https://salsa.debian.org/mariadb-team/mariadb-server/-/pipelines and
> think about potential gaps - CI is very important as it is the only
> way we can prevent regressions in a scalable way
>
> 4. Review/follow-up on existing bugs that currently need more
> information: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?repeatmerged=no&src=mariadb&src=mariadb-10.6&src=mariadb-10.5&src=mariadb-10.3&src=mariadb-10.1
>
> MariaDB and C++ skills are useful, but not required. For example
> reviewing the NEWS for 10.11 requires no coding skills:
> https://salsa.debian.org/mariadb-team/mariadb-server/-/merge_requests/37

One more items I am requesting help with:

5. If you know C/C++ compatibility on armhf and care about e.g.
Raspberry PI your help would be very useful. Upstream does not
test/target armhf and there are many minor places in upstream code
that would need some armhf tweaks. You could for example install the
mariadb-test package and run the full upstream test suite with 7227
tests and see which ones currently break on armhf (details in
https://optimizedbyotto.com/post/grokking-mariadb-test-run-mtr/).

- Otto