Re: Multi-host networking software, autopkgtests

Hi Ian,

On Fri, Jan 06, 2023 at 04:59:58PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Paul Gevers writes ("Re: Multi-host networking software, autopkgtests"):
> > I guess this is best discussed in https://bugs.debian.org/908274 (added
> > in the To)? Maybe with Wouter and other interested parties?
>
> Hmmm.  Well, a way of doing this "officially" in autopkgtest would be
> nice.  But:
>
> Think such an "official" thing ought to allow the specification of
> different dependencies for the different hosts in the test.  And I
> don't much like the mini-DSL suggestion.  Maybe it would be better to
> offer the test script an adt virt server interface to control the
> "other" hosts.
>
> This all seems very complex.  I definitely want to have something
> working before something like that could exist.  Also, I think it
> would be a good idea to do something ad-hoc, ideally in a number of
> packages, to gain experience so we know what shape the "official"
> thing ought to be.
>
> I think therefore that I need to pursue some kind of within-testbed
> nesting, as an interim approach at the very least.  I was hoping that
> someone else had solved (part of) this problem already...

Unfortunately not.

We also had a discussion during the "autopkgtest office hours" session
during debconf21[1], where an alternate method (that would be slightly
easier to implement) was proposed: to have an autopkgtest helper command
that allows you to easily create and run a Debian VM for the host
architecture, and run stuff on it. This might be a bit easier to
implement than the dsl in the proposal.

[1] https://debconf-video-team.pages.debian.net/videoplayer/#/event/2021/debconf21?video=debconf21-82-autopkgtest-office-hours.webm&start=2028

--
     w@uter.{be,co.za}
wouter@{grep.be,fosdem.org,debian.org}

I will have a Tin-Actinium-Potassium mixture, thanks.