transition announcement: gsfonts + gsfonts-x11 -> fonts-urw-base35

Dear fellow DDs,

I'd like to announce a transition that I am going to kick off in about
one week from today: I'd like to replace the gsfonts package with
fonts-urw-base35 and, while at it, integrate the contents of gsfonts-
x11 into the new package.

Some rationale and background can be found in [1]. The tl;dr version is
as follows:

The gsfonts package contains an unmaintained fork of the 35 core fonts
donated by URW++ to ghostscript (and thus the public) as a free
replacement for the corresponding Adobe PostScript fonts. The fork has
been chosen, because it contained additional cyrillic glyphs for most
of the fonts - I guess, I wasn't there in 2006.

However, meanwhile the fonts have been improved in a public repository
maintained by ghostscript's upstream company Artifex [2]. Some of the
fonts (i.e. at least the Nimbus family) have got Cyrillic and Greek
glyph additions directly from URW++ themselves. The most important
part, though, is that ghostscript is using these fonts internally and
we shouldn't be providing an outdated derivative to our systems.

The main user of this font, ghostscript, has already made the change
some years ago. The main user of gsfonts-x11, xfig, has been tested by
Roland Rosenfeld, who helped with the transition. Other users of the
gsfonts package should not experience any problems if using fontconfig,
which is already keeping a list of aliases for some years already.
Users not using fontconfig may have to adjust some hard-coded font file
paths. Users of the cyrillic glyphs of the non-Nimbus fonts from the
gsfonts package might be more lucky using the src:fonts-freefont [3]
package, which has accumulated these glyphs many years ago. There is
also another fork, tex-gyre, with an extended glyph range [4].

A preliminary package fonts-urw-base35_20200910-3 to enable the
transition can be found in experimental, So, in case anyone want to
check how the transition works out, any help will be appreciated [5].

Thanks!

Cheers,

 - Fabian

PS: Please keep me in CC, I am not subscribed to d-devel.

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=977765
[2] https://github.com/ArtifexSoftware/urw-base35-fonts
[3] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/fonts-freefont
[4] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/tex-gyre