Re: Epoch for node-markdown-it

]] Holger Levsen

> On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 06:00:44PM +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> > Epochs cause problems, [...]
>
> which are? (I agree they are ugly and should often be avoided, but I don't
> see any unsolved problems with them, which is why I'm asking.)

IIRC, they're not recorded in the file name in the archive, so foo-1.0-1
and foo-1:1.0-1 will have the same file names.  This isn't a huge
problem in practice since epochs are often the result of an upstream
switching from a date-based release model to a semver(-ish) model, such
as 2022-03 → 1.2, but in this particular case, it can lead to these
problems if/when upstream reaches 22 as their major version number.  I'm
not sure how snapshot will handle it, as one of the few services that
care about this over decades, rather than just the active set of
releases.  (Or maybe dak just denies you reusing the file name and the
uploader gets an error message, I don't know.)

Cheers,
--
Tollef Fog Heen