Re: Epoch for node-markdown-it

On ശ, ഓഗ 20, 2022 at 3:53 വൈകു, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 20, 2022 at 03:29:59PM +0000, Stefano Rivera wrote:
 > > Epochs cause problems, [...]
> which are? (I agree they are ugly and should often be avoided, but I don't
 > see any unsolved problems with them, which is why I'm asking.)
 The standard one is that people use them to revert an upload.

ok, I agree that's bad. (but not the case here.)

But, epochs aren't used in the upstream tarball filename, so you then
 easily get a conflict between the old and the new one.

I'd replace 'easily' with 'theoretically in rare cases' but I can see how
this is a valid point, sometimes.

I think the only real consequence for this is a dak reject which can be fixed by a new upload with +debian suffix.

Say when upstream again release 22.3 version, 1:22.3 orig.tar will have a different checksum from 22.3 orig.tar. If at all dak keeps history of the tar after so many releases. At that point, just uploading 1:22.3+debian will allow dak to accept the new tarball. Am I missing something here?

If this is indeed the case, it feels like many people are blindly chanting epoch is evil without really understanding what is at stake really.