Re: use of Recommends by vlc to force users to use pipewire

Quoting Simon McVittie (2022-05-26 21:08:22)
> On Thu, 26 May 2022 at 17:21:27 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > Indeed, for a remote VM, it is silly to recommend a sound server,
> > just because a library appears in the chain of dependencies:
> >
> > joooj:~> apt-get install -s atril | grep '^Inst pipewire'
>
> It looks like that's happening because atril depends on WebKitGTK, a
> relatively complete web browser engine, which uses xdg-desktop-portal
> to invoke per-user services across a sandbox boundary (so that it can
> provide the web APIs people expect from it, without having arbitrary
> websites able to access your webcam without your permission).
>
> xdg-desktop-portal depends on pipewire because one of the services it
> provides is access to webcams, and another is screen-sharing and
> screencasting. Both of those use the Pipewire video protocol to get the
> actual frames across the sandbox boundary.
>
> Maybe Atril never actually uses WebKitGTK to access arbitrary websites,
> but WebKitGTK is a fully-featured web browser engine, so it has to
> be prepared to do anything that an arbitrary website expects to work,
> and that includes (for example) the Jitsi web frontend.
>
> > Ditto for the gnucash accounting software
>
> Same dependency here: it depends on WebKitGTK.

To me, this highlights why libraries should rarely declare strong
relationship to executables:  Some consumers of WebKitGTK would want to
recommend xdg-desktop-portal, while others like gnucash would not.

Email applications like astroid and balsa and evolution probably use
WebKitGTK for rendering html and have not use for xdg-desktop-portal at all.

Similar for bibledit and gnucash and bijiben and liferea.  From a quick
look, I would guess that *most* reverse depenencies of WebKitGTK make no
use of xdg-desktop-portal.

Recommending xdg-desktop-portal should be done by those applications
doing sandboxing and therefore needing it.

Oh, and thanks for yet another wonderful explanation, Simon!

 - Jonas