Re: feedback for NEW packages: switch to using the BTS?

On Sat, 30 Apr 2022, Paul Wise wrote:
> I suppose debbugs could allow the package state to go out of sync with
> NEW and instead retain the addresses for a certain period of time
> after packages are removed from NEW and while there are open bugs on
> the packages that were removed from NEW.

This might be a reasonable process to figure out. We currently don't
disambiguate between "this package never existed" and "this package used
to exist".

Doing that would allow the current FTP master process to work while
tracking things in the BTS.

REJECT process would create a bug against the source package which can
be optionally cloned by the maintainer if they want to fix issues
separately.

Packages uploaded to NEW would create entries in the to-be-created
"historical Maintainers" file. We wouldn't bother to track detailed
versioning information; that will get fixed up when the package actually
transits is ACCEPTED.

Still unresolved is how this intersects with the search that people use
to reassign bugs against outdated packages to the current package (or
close bugs in removed packages).

--
Don Armstrong                      https://www.donarmstrong.com

Grimble left his mother in the food store and went to the launderette
and watched the clothes go round. It was a bit like color television
only with less plot.
 -- Clement Freud _Grimble_