Re: Q: systemd-timer vs cron

On Mon, 14 Mar 2022 at 11:47:33 +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Mar 14, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> > AFAICT OnSuccess/OnFailure services don't recieve the output of the
> > succeeding/failing service. So the mail sending service needs to dig
> > around in the systemd journal.
>
> Yes, this is true. These are the unit and script that I use, and I think
> that Debian would benefit from having something like this available in
> some common package.

systemd-cron has something very similar, which it uses for the units that
it generates from crontab entries.

> I think that there is still space for cron jobs and for having a cron
> package installed by default

I'm not sure whether systemd-cron is ready to be that default yet, but
it might be a good candidate for people who are interested in cron jobs
to work on?

(I use it myself, but I am not involved in maintaining it.)

    smcv