Re: using epoch to repair versioning of byacc package

> Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 14:55:39 -0600
> From: Richard Laager <rlaager@debian.org>
> To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: using epoch to repair versioning of byacc package
>
> On 1/23/22 10:04, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > In #1003769, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > > 1. The upload introduces an epoch because the upstream version went from
> > > yyyymmdd to 2.0.yyyymmdd. Given that the new version scheme seems to
> > > have found acceptance in e.g. Fedora /I/ do not see a better way. Could
> > > you ask about the epoch on debian-devel (as per policy
> > > https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#epochs-should-be-used-sparingly
> > > ) - TIA.
> >
> > As background, byacc was packaged by Dave Becket in 2005, switching
> > to my ftp area as upstream.  In doing that, the versioning of the
> > package changed:
> >
> > from
> > 	-- LaMont Jones <lamont@debian.org>  Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:49:09 -0700
> > 	byacc (1.9.1-1) unstable; urgency=low
> > 	-- Dave Beckett <dajobe@debian.org>  Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:14:12 +0100
> > 	byacc (20050505-1) unstable; urgency=low
>
> I see no other way to correct this but to add an epoch.

agreed.  Is there some way to further improve the transition?

> As we see in this case, switching from version numbers to date-based
> versions is dangerous because it's impossible to go back without an epoch. A
> better version would have been something like 1.9.1+20050505.

I suspect that providing an interim 1.9.1+20140715 with/without an epoch
would have problems going backward.  But there might be some way to do that.

> Lintian flags on this, but (according to the name and description) only for
> new packages:
> https://lintian.debian.org/tags/new-package-uses-date-based-version-number
>
> Personally, I'd like to see that lintian check fire if the date-based
> versioning is new. That is, it should fire if the previous changelog entry
> did not have a date-based version.

yes... but it's a little late for that (I've only learned about these
issues in the process of setting up the upgrade).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dickey@invisible-island.net>
https://invisible-island.net