Re: WNPP/ITP/... for Amazon SDK for C++ ?

On Sat, Jan 08, 2022 at 10:31:03AM -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> You have a large set there which covers three of the ones I'd need.  Could
> you upload these:
>
>   https://salsa.debian.org/rvandegrift/aws-c-common
>   https://salsa.debian.org/rvandegrift/aws-checksums
>   https://salsa.debian.org/rvandegrift/aws-c-event-stream
>
> to allow partial progress, and a 'base camp' from which we can continue?
> (You have quite the load there too...)   Maybe we can then build the AWS SDK
> (or parts thereof) we need on top?

The cloud team met this week and we discussed this.  We're happy to do
this, but there's one caveat: as far as we know, upstream won't provide
long term supported releases for this stack.  They work in the
"everyone runs the newest" model.  Probably not a big deal for
aws-c-common or aws-checksums.  But aws-c-event-stream (transitively)
depends on s2n and aws-lc where security support is critical.  So it's
probably not feasible to ship in a stable release.

Still, it'd be useful to provide packages so folks can start to
experiment - hopefully things will eventually settle down.

I'll start making sure these are ready to go, and I'll ping you when
they're ready.  Would you mind uploading or sponsoring the initial
round?  I'm nonuploading, so I can't create new binary packages.

Thanks,
Ross