Re: chromium: Update to version 94.0.4606.61 (security-fixes)

On Sat, Jan 01, 2022 at 01:23:09PM -0500, Andres Salomon wrote:
> > I've got 96.0.4664.110 building on both bullseye and sid

Trying it, I see it still build-depends on python-jinja2.  That package
is now gone, so it's not actually buildable in sid anymore.

Correlated, do you know how long do they plan on keeping using python2?
That's plainly unsuitable, it really is not going to last much longer in
debian.

> > the v96 branch of https://salsa.debian.org/dilinger/chromium

FWIW, I'm trying to build it myself as well (after injecting an old
python-jinja2 and an old python-markupsafe).

> Alright, crashes are solved and the packages are now usable. After some
> cleanups (listing CVEs in changelogs,

This doesn't seem to be done as of the current tip of you v96 branch.

> merging/pushing a bunch of
> commits in my branch, possibly dropping strong stack protection from
> builds to silence warnings from older clang versions, and going through
> lintian errors/warnings), it should be ready to upload.

TBH, I don't think I am able to judge the appropriateness of most of
those changes...
Though I suspect I could close most of my eyes and upload it to
unstable: can't be much worse than what we have...

> How should I handle this? NMU to sid, let people try it out, and then
> deal with buster/bullseye? Upload everything all at once?

Procedure would be NMU to unstable first, IMHO.

> I also haven't heard from anyone on the chromium team yet - should I
> add myself as an uploader and do a normal (non-NMU) upload? Do any of
> them care?

Without hearing from them, adding yourself to Uploaders would be
inappropriate.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo