Re: Help trying to debug an sbuild failure?

On Wed, Dec 28, 2022 at 12:10:51AM +0100, Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues wrote:
> Note, that if you keep upgrading a Debian unstable chroot across multiple
> releases, it will end up looking slightly different than a freshly
> debootstrapped Debian unstable chroot. So I think there is value in
> semi-regularly re-creating the build chroot from scratch. Maybe write a script
> that does what you need?

That's true, but the number of user/group id's that sbuild would
actually care about is probably quite small and might very well just
be sbuild:sbuild I would think, no?

> Finally, I think this is something that could be solved in sbuild. Ultimately,
> schroot is able to do things as the root user, so it should have sufficient
> permissions to fix up a chroot that carries incorrect permissions. Could you
> quickly note in a bug against sbuild on the Debian BTS which steps exactly you
> carried out so that I am able to reproduce your problem?

Sure, no problem.

> I'm making no promises that I'll find the time to improve the schroot backend
> of sbuild to survive the kind of chroot-rsync that you have performed but if
> this is important to you, then maybe we can make a trade and I implement this
> sbuild functionality and you have a look at pull requests
> https://github.com/tytso/e2fsprogs/pull/118 or #107 and leave some comments in
> return? :)

Thanks for the reminder, I'll take a look.  Most of the patch
proposals for e2fsprogs end up going to linux-ext4@vger.kernel.org (so
that other ext4 developers can review them), and I sometimes forgot to
look over the github pull requests.

I'm also about to go on a Panama Canal cruise, where my internet
access may be limited (which is why I was trying to get sbuild setup
on my laptop in the first place :-), and e-mail has the advantage of
being much easily cacheable using offlineimap...

						- Ted