Re: libpaper and gnulib

    Reuben> I am a bit torn here: with my DM hat on, stripping out
    Reuben> gnulib sources where possible and using Debian's gnulib
    Reuben> package seems the right thing to do.  With my upstream hat
    Reuben> on it leads potentially to bug reports that don't correspond
    Reuben> to an upstream release; and further few Debian packages that
    Reuben> use gnulib actually seem to use this method (there are 26
    Reuben> build-rdeps of gnulib).

I think Simon has given you a good specific answer for this situation.

Generally, though, you are wearing different hats when you are
maintaining a Debian package and when you are upstream.
Often, it is better for Debian if the Debian sources are not entirely
the same as the upstream sources.
When wearing your DM hat, you should do what's best for Debian, even if
it makes your upstream hat a bit grumpy, keeping in mind things like:

* In this case, Simon has argued that it is better for Debian to use the
  source library.

* Making upstream too grumpy isn't good for Debian

* Adequate testing is good for Debian.