Re: libc6-dev have unmet dependencies in stable-bullseye

On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 04:42:00PM +0100, Markus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for your answer.
>
> > If you used debootstrap or mmdebstrap to create your own chroot or
> > container that only includes bullseye, and not bullseye-security or
> > bullseye-updates, then you would get libc6 (= 2.31-13+deb11u4) in
> > the chroot/container, and libc6-dev (= 2.31-13+deb11u4) would install
> > successfully.
> >
> > However, because you're using a container image that has been made
> > by someone else, what you do with that container afterwards needs to
> > be consistent with the assumptions they made when they created the
> > image.
>
> The Docker example was meant so that the problem could be reproduced
> quickly. I can see the same problem with the official image
> debian-11.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso. Sorry for the confusion.
>
> Step to reproduce:
>
> 1. Install Debian with debian-11.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso
> 2. echo 'deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main' >
> /etc/apt/sources.list
> 3. apt-get clean
> 4. apt-get update
> 5. apt-get install libc6-dev
>
> Then I get the same message:

> > libc6-dev : Depends: libc6 (= 2.31-13+deb11u4) but 2.31-13+deb11u5
> > is to be installed
> > E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
>
> You write:
>
> > That means you can't assume that an apt source for plain bullseye
> > is sufficient to get a full set of matching packages.

netinst will by default enable security updates and stable updates [1]
and has installed *during installation* packages from there (namely at least
libc6 (= 2.31-13+deb11u5).
Your "2." from above disabled those repositories, so apt can't use
those repositories anymore and will not able to resolve the dependencies.
This is the problem you are seeing.

> Perhaps this is also the case for debian-11.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso. I was
> not sure at that point. Maybe that was a wrong assumption I made.

[1] See installation manual 6.3.6.1.

--
tobi