Re: Firmware GR result - what happens next?

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> (2022-10-02):
> * Extra d-i code to inform users about what firmware blobs have been
>   loaded and the matching non-free-firmware packages. Plus information
>   about the hardware involved. Maybe a new d-i module / udeb for this?
>   Exact details here still TBD. Probably the biggest individual piece
>   of work here.

Not just blobs that were loaded, but also those which might get loaded
in the installed system (since we don't have all modules around), see
hw-detect.post-base-installer.d/50install-firmware in hw-detect (udevadm
vs. modalias stuff).

> * Tweaks to add the non-free-firmware section in the apt-setup module
>   if desired/needed.
>
> * An extra boot option (a debconf variable) to disable loading extra
>   firmware automatically, then exposed as an extra option through the
>   isolinux and GRUB menus. d-i "expert mode" can also be used to tweak
>   this behaviour later, except (obviously) for things like audio
>   firmware that *must* be loaded early if they're going to be useful
>   at all.

The option/variable looks easy enough (once we decide what to call it)…
Not sure what would be best to expose it to users: bootloader menus
already have many options (text vs.  graphical, normal vs. rescue,
accessibility settings, etc.), and don't get internationalization
support anyway. On the flip side, having to go through a full expert
installation is very nice.

Maybe start by documenting the option (probably installation guide plus
release notes), and of course implementing it; then see if/how we expose
it?

Cheers,