Re: Switch default from PulseAudio to PipeWire (and WirePlumber) for audio

Hi,

On 2022-09-08 05:58, Dylan Aïssi wrote:
> I have been asked several times regarding when Debian will switch its default
> sound server from PulseAudio to PipeWire without having an official answer.
> Thus, I suppose it's the right time to start a discussion about that.

PipeWire seems to be working just fine as a drop-in replacement for me
on sid, so personally I don't have any objections to the sound server
switch.

My concern is about the availability of clients for controlling things
like volume and which output device to use. In an effort to try and
reducing the variety of sound-related stuff installed on my machines
[1], I've removed everything vaguely resembling "pulseaudio", except for
what would have caused the removal of tons of stuff. I am now left with:

libpulse-mainloop-glib0:amd64
libpulse0:amd64
pipewire-pulse

Sound still works fine, but how to do things like changing volume,
toggling mute, choosing between HDMI and headphones, ...? I understand
that one can still use pavucontrol, but that would essentially mean
bringing back parts of pulseaudio (at least libpulsedsp, pavucontrol,
and pulseaudio-utils).

If it's true that pavucontrol (or similar) is still required, I think it
would be a bit confusing to make the switch from pulseaudio to pipewire
and still have functional dependencies on pulseaudio around.

ciao,
  ema

[1] I already have alsa, jack, pulseaudio, pipewire packages
installed... At least no oss anymore! :)