Re: Switch default from PulseAudio to PipeWire (and WirePlumber) for audio

On Thu, Sep 08, 2022 at 05:58:25PM +0200, Dylan Aïssi wrote:
> I have been asked several times regarding when Debian will switch its default
> sound server from PulseAudio to PipeWire without having an official answer.
> Thus, I suppose it's the right time to start a discussion about that.

If we're going to default to PipeWire in Bookworm, please switch NOW.
Our custom is to make all the big changes the day before freeze, ending up
with untested and buggy stuff.

> for screen-sharing.  PipeWire was not mature enough to use it as default
> sound server for Bullseye, but since it gained stability

PulseAudio is notorious for failing to work on _some_ machines or working
badly (eg. http://angband.pl/tmp/clem/pulse.flac), so even in the worst case
we trade one set of bugs for another.

Meow!
--