Re: Need a buildd build after trip through NEW -- best practice?

Hello,

On Wed 24 Aug 2022 at 12:09AM GMT, Holger Levsen wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 04:59:10PM -0500, Steven Robbins wrote:
>> Commonly, I update a package that provides a shared library.  Due to the
>> package naming convention, a new SOVERSION necessitates a trip through NEW,
>> which in turn means a binary upload.
>>
>> The binary upload cannot transition to testing -- a buildd binary build is
>> required.  So far as I know -- assuming [1] is still up-to-date, this means a
>> nuisance upload just bumping the debian revision from -1 to -2.  Is this still
>> the recommended practice?
>
> yes.
>
> it's rather easy to do too, though maybe there should be something in src:devscripts
> implementing something along these lines:
>
> dch -i -m "Source only upload for testing migration."
> dch -r
> debuild -S
> cd .. ; dput $changes_file
> # git commit & git tag

When the Emacs team needed to rebuild all our arch:all packages David
did it with something like

for foo in ...; do
    dgit clone foo
    dch "Rebuild for ..."
    dch -r
    git commit debian/changelog -m"..."
    dgit push-source
done

The advantage being that it's git workflow-agnostic, so perhaps more
more useful to have that in devscripts.

--
Sean Whitton