Re: adduser default for sgid home directories

On Mon, 25 Jul 2022 09:05:55 -0700, Josh Triplett
<josh@joshtriplett.org> wrote:
>Matt Barry wrote:
>> >
>> > Regardless of the rest of the discussion, this isn't entirely true.
>> > Yes, people following unstable will have already seen the NEWS entry
>> > and
>> > apt-listchanges won't show it again for that version, but it's still
>> > possible to edit it retroactively so that (for example) people
>> > upgrading
>> > between stable releases see improved text.  That can sometimes be
>> > worthwhile.
>> >

>> That is a good point, and probably something we should plan to do.
>
>In particular, it may make sense to edit this NEWS entry and the
>previous one, to avoid presenting two entries to stable users for two
>different successive changes, rather than just one effective change.

I don't like the idea of messing with old NEWS entries at all.

In this case, an exception might be warranted, but we need to have the
long explanation somewhere in the package for the next round of this
issue that is expected in the 2030ies.

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |