Re: RFC: Switch default from netkit-telnet(d) to inetutils-telnet(d)

On 19.07.22 16:05, Michael Stone wrote:
On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 01:49:53AM -0400, Timothy M Butterworth wrote:
Telnet is old, insecure and should not be used any more. What is the point of packaging a Telnet daemon when everyone should be using SSH. Telnet Client I can see because a person may need to connect to a router or switch that is
still using telnet or hasn't had SSH Certificates generated yet.
I personally use telnet to connect to systems whose ssh implementations are old enough that they are no longer interoperable with current ssh. Every system will eventually become an old system, and telnet has a much better record of working over the long term than does ssh. Security concerns have a place in determining defaults, but not in banning software that other people find useful in a context that might not matter to you.

I found the client-side very tolerant of ancient server-side implementations when the right kinds of switches are passed to it (e.g. KexAlgorithms and HostKeyAlgorithms). I have yet to be unable to actually connect to a target - even if it means fiddling increasingly with flags.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern