Re: enabling link time optimizations in package builds

On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 12:40:34PM +0300, Nicholas Guriev wrote:
> LTO significantly increase memory requirements for buildd machines. Do we have
> enough RAM and swap on each build server?
>
> > Link time optimizations are also at least turned on in other distros like
> > Fedora, OpenSuse (two years) and Ubuntu (one year).
>
> I know Ubuntu has builders with 8 GB RAM + 4 GB swap which is not enough in
> all cases. https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad/+question/694428

This is on 𝐚𝐦𝐝𝟔𝟒.  You can have 24𝐓B RAM boxen these days.  Assigning 8GB
to a buildd is a configuration error -- it's not about building package X
at home or porting it to a bitty box.

>> The proposal is to turn on LTO by default on most 64bit release architectures.

As doko CCed -ports:
With the hat of one of riscv64 porters on: hardware that is deemed
sufficient for buildds has 16 GB RAM and nvme, with very slow CPUs.
Thus, please include riscv64 among LTO archs, barring compiler issues
of course.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ What kind of a drug are "base" and "red pill"?  I think acid is