Re: enabling link time optimizations in package builds

On Fri, Jul 01, 2022 at 07:52:16PM +0300, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 10:18:43AM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> > The proposal is to turn on LTO by default on most 64bit release
> > architectures.
>
> By what factor does -ffat-lto-objects increase disk space usage during
> package builds?
>
> Please coordinate with DSA to ensure that the buildds on these
> architectures have sufficient diskspace.
>
> amd64 buildds have/had(?) only 74 GB of diskspace, which has even
> without LTO already forced some packages to do manual cleanup steps
> during the build to stay within the limited disk space.

As amd64 is a fat arch these days, there's no excuse to not simply throw
more hardware at this particular problems.  We do have excess money and
sponsors.

> A bigger worry is the schedule of such a change.
> A major toolchain change shortly before the freeze means the vast
> majority of packages will be shipped with non-LTO builds in the release,

So let's do such changes NOW rather than in December.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ What kind of a drug are "base" and "red pill"?  I think acid is