Re: use of Recommends by vlc to force users to use pipewire

Quoting Sebastian Ramacher (2022-05-30 12:08:44)
> On 2022-05-30 10:43:58 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > [...]
[...]
> > My comment was on "until such time as we are ready to recommend
> > Pipewire as a replacement for PulseAudio". If Debian is not ready
> > to use Pipewire as a replacement for PulseAudio, then VLC shouldn't
> > try to use Pipewire by default instead of PulseAudio. So that would
> > be a bug in VLC.
>
> Let me clear this up a bit:
>
> * vlc does not use pipewire by default.
[...]
> * vlc-plugin-pipewire depends on libpipewire-0.3 and that's it.

So essentially...:

 a) pipewire package enables pipewire service by default

 b) libpipewire* package recommends pipewire

 c) vlc recommends libpipewire

Effectively, installing vlc enables pipewire service by default, despite
vlc not intending that to happen.

To allow packages *support* a functionality by default, separately from
*enabling* that functionality by default, libraries need to stop
recommending their consuming service.

 - Jonas