Re: Project Improvements

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 08:50:21AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2022 20:21:03 +0200, David Kalnischkies
> <david@kalnischkies.de> wrote:
> >apt actually marks dependencies
> >of packages in section metapackages as manually installed if the
> >metapackage is removed due to the removal of one of its dependencies
> >– but doesn't if you decide to remove the metapackage explicitly.
>
> That sounds nice and it's probably good to avoid accidental mass
> removals, but it makes the "manual" mark kind of a misnomer.

You may be right, but it is how it is due to backwards-compat and
countless complains after accidents. The config option in control
of this is APT::Never-MarkAuto-Sections which previously did similar
things on install…

The current logic tries to preserve user choice more until it has no
other chance than to act out its configuration. On the upside, that
means you can disable this behaviour now "retroactively" and chains of
metapackages are easier to remove as they haven't marked themselves
manual on install.

I hate it. Especially if it turns into a huge media outcry like last
year, but sadly, we are sometimes forced to ignore what the user says
in the default configuration even through they literally typed "Do as
I say!" into a confirmation prompt…

Best regards

David Kalnischkies