Re: Concerns about Security of packages in Debain OS and the Operating system itself.

On Mon, May 23, 2022 at 07:22:40PM +0100, lkcl wrote:
> > > i believe the answer is in the question. debian is based on distributed trust.  i did the analysis (took 3 weeks): it is literally the only distro in the world with an inviolate chain of trust from a large keyring dating back 20 years that is itself GPG-signed as a package, with a package distribution chain from source where all components within the chain up to release are unbroken and inviolate.
> >
> > This is not an answer to the question though, OP was asking how we prevent abuse of that trust.
>
> reputation, and potentially criminal and civil proceedings.
>
> all identities are known, and inviolate-known [through the
> above-described chain].
(there is no mechanism to tie a GPG key to an actual person or to find who
actually did the signing)

> anyone stupid enough to abuse their position may only do so once, at which
> point their GPG key is revoked.
(only after the abuse is found)

> given that GPG key-signing parties require people's real-world identities
> to be known,
(depends on your definition of "people's real-world identities")

> it is easy to track down who signed whose key (it's right
> there in the keyring-archive], and request that the signer provide assistance
> to the relevant authorities in proving that real-world identity.
(doubtful, considering how GPG key-signing parties actually work)

--
WBR, wRAR