Re: Firmware: Scope of non-free-firmware

    Vincent>  ❦ 10 May 2022 14:30 -06, Sam Hartman:
    >> 2) We value being able to build from source when we can. We value
    >> being able to have reproducible builds when we can. We don't want
    >> to take steps backward in those areas in order to get hardware
    >> working better.

    Vincent> Is there any firmware that would match this? This seems
    Vincent> like a complication without any current application.

There is certainly free firmware that matches this.
I don't know about non-free firmware.
However, one of Debian's strengths is that we actually take the time to
get things right.
If we want a quick fix, let's just enable non-free.
If we want to draw a distinction, let's actually take the time to
consider what it would mean and carefully craft the definition.

If we are having trouble getting consensus on debian-devel and still
agree that it's a good idea to do, we can pick a group of people we
trust to make the decision and empower them to work through the issues.

Sweeping aside the hard issues in favor of consensus is how we end up
with issues where people feel ill-used and hurt by the process.
I hope we choose to learn from past difficult decisions and not do that
here.