Re: feedback for NEW packages: switch to using the BTS?

Hi Scott,

thanks a lot for becoming involved into this discussion.

Am Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 11:26:33AM -0400 schrieb Scott Kitterman:
> 2.  Not rejecting packages with serious defects:
>
> I'm not sure I understand what it proposed:
>
> > The ftpmasters could simply file severity serious bug reports against
> > NEW packages that have issues blocking their entry into Debian. When
> > there are minor issues noticed at the same time, then file bugs of a
> > lower severity. Only when a NEW package has not had its serious bugs
> > fixed in a long time would an eventual removal and REJECT mail happen,
> > perhaps after a few months of zero action on the bug reports.
>
> I think this proposes to accept all packages regardless of how defective they
> are and then remove them later if the bugs aren't fixed.  If that's what is
> proposed, my thought is absolutely not.
>
> If a package is not suitable for the archive then it should be rejected with
> appropriate feedback and re-uploaded.

To give some actual examples that IMHO are candidates for accept + bug
report:

   1. In case versioneer.py (Creative Commons "Public Domain Dedication"
      license (CC0-1.0) is missing in d/copyright like in propka[1]

   2. Packages which are DFSG free but might miss some single copyright
      statement.
      My favourite example would be r-bioc-basilisk[2].  In this specific
      example I even disagree with ftpmaster[3] but I see no real chance
      as a maintainer to discuss my point and can only re-re-re-upload
      what I consider correct.  So I gave up and this package is not yet
      inside Debian.  This could be discussed more sensibly in a bug
      report IMHO.

I think Paul was not talking about non-distributable software but rather
code that is considered DFSG free but missing proper paragraphs inside
d/copyright which can be easily fixed in BTS.

> Note: Although I am a member of the FTP Team, I am only speaking for myself
> here, not the team as a whole.

Thanks a lot for speaking at a "competent yourself" ;-)

Kind regards

       Andreas.

[1] https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/debian-med-packaging/2022-February/098605.html
[2] https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/r-pkg-team/2022-February/024165.html