Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

I recently tried to install Debian onto my new laptop. It's an HP Pavilian (can't remember the exact model sorry) with an AMD Rizon 5500 processor with integrated Radion graphic. All seemed to work well, until I came to the detecting Internet stage of the install. It couldn't detect my Wi-fi card. So then, I found the Non-free section and got the CD version? I guess that's what I should have gotten? The DVD one is the live environment right? See how confusion this can be? Anyway, I booted that up, pressed s then Enter cause I'm blind, then began the install again. The same thing happened. So apparently even the non-free images don't contain all of the drivers. I know a driver for my card exists, since Fedora has it. So, since Debian "won't work" on my system (that's what a user *will* think), I went back to Windows, where I have all the few games blind people can play, the MUD clients with sound packs, Twitter/Mastodon/Telegram clients that were made by the blind, for the blind, a screen reader with wide community support, and a DE with developers focusingon accessibility. Of course, that's just my use case as a blind person. Others may focus on the graphics card, Wi-fi, sound card, power management (My battery will never run out of power according to acpi), or CPU management.
Ah well. Maybe Ubuntu will have the Wi-fi card. I mean they are a company but when a group of regular people don't give something that I can even install without plugging in my phone, finishing install, somehow finding the right driver for my Wi-fi card, and then finally being able to use it, then the first thing people will do is go find something else. They'll say "Okay well Debian is just for servers and 'FossBros'," shake their head, and move on.
This is from a user's perspective. It's hard enough to get them to want to use Linux. A lot of people don't even know you can change the operating system on your computer! So then for them to try Debian, which is probably one of, if not the most, accessible of all distros thanks to our few Debian Accessibility team, and then find that their network card isn't going to work, they'll run back to Windows. And to be clear, for a blind person, the only thing Linux has over Windows at this point is that you can print text *and* images to a Braille printer. You can't do that in Windows without expensive software. All the games, software for the blind, Twitter/Mastodon/Telegram clients, all that is on Windows. So for a blind person, switching from all that is gonna be even harder. So the first sign of resistance will send them back.
Also, should we have to work for Debian? Shouldn't it make our computing life easier by at least including the stuff we need to use all parts of our computer? Besides that, with computers becoming even more "secure" with Microsoft working on a chip, AMD and Intel having their stuff, we'll *have* to include nonfree stuff in Debian eventually. Might as well do it now to make users' lives a little easier for practice.
Another thing I just thought of, I wonder if, when we find hardware in the installer that we don't have drivers for, if we can search for drivers on apt, including the nonfree section, and ask if the user wants to install them? The user would probably have to connect their phone for the Wi-fi bit, but then all the stuff could easily be installed.

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 2:49 AM Pirate Praveen <praveen@onenetbeyond.org> wrote:

2022, ഏപ്രിൽ 19 5:57:46 AM IST, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com>ൽ എഴുതി
>This tension extends to our installation and live media. As non-free is
>officially not considered part of Debian, our official media cannot include
>anything from non-free. This has been a deliberate policy for many years.
>Instead, we have for some time been building a limited parallel set of
>"unofficial non-free" images which include non-free firmware. These non-free
>images are produced by the same software that we use for the official images,
>and by the same team.
>
>There are a number of issues here that make developers and users unhappy:
>
> 1. Building, testing and publishing two sets of images takes more effort.

Can we reduce the tests? Do we really need to test both images for all cases?

> 2. We don't really want to be providing non-free images at all, from a
>    philosophy point of view. So we mainly promote and advertise the preferred
>    official free images. That can be a cause of confusion for users. We do
>    link to the non-free images in various places, but they're not so easy to
>    find.

I'm fine making it easier to find.

> 3. Using non-free installation media will cause more installations to use
>    non-free software by default. That's not a great story for us, and we may
>    end up with more of our users using non-free software and believing that
>    it's all part of Debian.

So a separate non-free firmware section as you proposed could work.

> 4. A number of users and developers complain that we're wasting their time by
>    publishing official images that are just not useful for a lot (a majority?)
>    of users.

Isn't voluntary work being able to work on things you care and not necessarily what majority wants?

I can understand if the current volunteers that produce and test fully free images don't want to continue and no one else step up. Shouldn't this be a call for volunteers ?

May be more people step in to maintain the free images if there is a call for volunteers.

>We should do better than this.

>=======
>
>The status quo is a mess, and I believe we can and should do things
>differently.
>
>I see several possible options that the images team can choose from here.
>However, several of these options could undermine the principles of Debian. We
>don't want to make fundamental changes like that without the clear backing of
>the wider project. That's why I'm writing this...
>
> 1. Keep the existing setup. It's horrible, but maybe it's the best we can do?
>    (I hope not!)

As I said earlier, making non-free more prominent and more volunteers to maintain fully free images could work to reduce load on existing volunteers.

> 2. We could just stop providing the non-free unofficial images altogether.
>    That's not really a promising route to follow - we'd be making it even
>    harder for users to install our software. While ideologically pure, it's
>    not going to advance the cause of Free Software.

I think we should continue creating non-free images.

> 3. We could stop pretending that the non-free images are unofficial, and maybe
>    move them alongside the normal free images so they're published together.
>    This would make them easier to find for people that need them, but is
>    likely to cause users to question why we still make any images without
>    firmware if they're otherwise identical.

This should be fine. This could be used as an opportunity to educate users and recommending to choose hardware which works with free images. We can highlight h-node.org here.

> 4. The images team technically could simply include non-free into the official
>    images, and add firmware packages to the input lists for those images.
>    However, that would still leave us with problem 3 from above (non-free
>    generally enabled on most installations).

I don't think we should do this.

> 5. We could split out the non-free firmware packages into a new
>    non-free-firmware component in the archive, and allow a specific exception
>    only to allow inclusion of those packages on our official media. We would
>    then generate only one set of official media, including those non-free
>    firmware packages.

I'm okay with it only if we don't get enough volunteers to maintain two images.

>    (We've already seen various suggestions in recent years to split up the
>    non-free component of the archive like this, for example into
>    non-free-firmware, non-free-doc, non-free-drivers, etc. Disagreement
>    (bike-shedding?) about the split caused us to not make any progress on
>    this. I believe this project should be picked up and completed. We don't
>    have to make a perfect solution here immediately, just something that works
>    well enough for our needs today. We can always tweak and improve the setup
>    incrementally if that's needed.)
>
>These are the most likely possible options, in my opinion. If you have a better
>suggestion, please let us know!

As mentioned earlier, call for volunteers to maintain two sets or reducing the number of test cases (some cases only tested with non-free and some tested only with free images)

>I'd like to take this set of options to a GR, and do it soon. I want to get a
>clear decision from the wider Debian project as to how to organise firmware and
>installation images. If we do end up changing how we do things, I want a clear
>mandate from the project to do that.
>
>My preference, and rationale
>============================
>
>Mainly, I want to see how the project as a whole feels here - this is a big
>issue that we're overdue solving.
>
>What would I choose to do? My personal preference would be to go with option 5:
>split the non-free firmware into a special new component and include that on
>official media.
>
>Does that make me a sellout? I don't think so. I've been passionately
>supporting and developing Free Software for more than half my life. My
>philosophy here has not changed. However, this is a complex and nuanced
>situation. I firmly believe that sharing software freedom with our users comes
>with a responsibility to also make our software useful. If users can't easily
>install and use Debian, that helps nobody.
>
>By splitting things out here, we would enable users to install and use Debian
>on their hardware, without promoting/pushing higher-level non-free software in
>general. I think that's a reasonable compromise. This is simply a change to
>recognise that hardware requirements have moved on over the years.
>
>Further work
>
>If we do go with the changes in option 5, there are other things we could do
>here for better control of and information about non-free firmware:
>
> 1. Along with adding non-free firmware onto media, when the installer (or live
>    image) runs, we should make it clear exactly which firmware packages have
>    been used/installed to support detected hardware. We could link to docs
>    about each, and maybe also to projects working on Free re-implementations.

Good idea.