Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

On Tue, 2022-04-19 at 18:51 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> I notice that you shift the conversation topic from *upgrading*
> firmware to *introducing* firmware.
>
> I already mentioned that I would sometimes upgrade to newer firmware,
> which I mean to imply that yes I would sometimes dare to permit my
> devices to execute firmware.  Sorry if that was unclear.
>
> My concern is about hardware changing behavior.  I.e. hardware not
> being stable.

Firmware shipped as packages part of stable releases will probably
change the same way as software (i.e., security updates, other
important updates). So there should be not much reason for such
concern.

Such concerns would be more relevant for firmware updates using other
update channels such as `fwupd` uses.

And there is still the option to not install the firmware packages and
managing firmware files on your own, but I do not think this is a good
default.

Ansgar