Re: Firmware - what are we going to do about it?

Quoting Andrey Rahmatullin (2022-04-19 14:47:27)
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 02:38:03PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > When I install systems, I consider non-free blobs more risky than
> > other code.
> Do you consider loadable non-free blobs more risky than their older
> versions soldered onto the hardware?

I consider each blob differently risky.

A newer blob might...

  * fix bugs
  * add functionality that I want
  * add functionality that I don't want
  * remove functionality that I want

With Free Software I often read the changelog, or if that is missing or
too terse then sometimes (for stuff that I care for in particular) I
skim through upstream git commits.  I am rarely enough expert to notice
if changes are broken but at least I can get some sense of the intendes
changes.

I don't have the same options for most non-free code.  So even for
intended changes (i.e. ignoring tinfoil hat evil intents) I am less
likely to know if the changes are wanted or not, I can only assume that
"it is newer, gotta be better..."

> > When I (sometimes, but not always¹) choose to "infect" my systems
> > with non-free packages, I therefore consider each non-free package
> > to try minimize the amount of risky blobs on my systems.  As an
> > example, I may choose to not apply realtek firmware updates when I
> > can verify that my ethernet device works adequately without it.
> Do you see some inherent value in not applying a firmware update then?

Yes: The benefit of knowing what I have and (most often) not knowing
what I get.

I like to use an operating system that keeps itself updated - because I
know that at any time I can dive in and inspect each detail, and either
block or (unofficially, at my own risk) try roll it back.  But for
components that are essentially bkack boxes, I prefer a conservative
approach of *not* updating by default, testing out updates on a few
devices before trusting applying them generally (if at all).

If I report an issue to a hardware supplier, and they say that the fix
is to flash a newer firmware onto the device, then I am likely to do
that - I trust my supplier (and can demand a replacement if the device
breaks as a result of my flashing operation instructed by them).

If I blindly flash newer firmware onto a device and it stops working,
then there is a real risk that if I contact my hardware supplier they
will tell me that I was wrong to change firmware and that they won't
replace the device.  I think that is fair treatment.

Now, with OS-distributed firmware I am probably less likely to
permanently damage my device, but for the runtime functionality
scenarios are comparable: Just because a firmware loads might not mean
that it is endorsed by my hardware supplier - it might cause operation
of the device to be inferior compared to older firmware.  I prefer to
update firmware only when recommended, not whenever available, because
it is (more often than with Free Software) unknown what exactly it
changes: I know better what I have, than what I get.

 - Jonas