Re: Debian doesn't have a "core team", should it? can it?

On Sun, 2022-04-10 at 21:23 +0100, Peter Michael Green wrote:
> Recently andreas-tille sent the following message about libzstd to
> debian-devel
>
> > I'd like to repeat that I'm really convinced that libzstd should
> > *not*
> > be maintained in the Debian Med team but rather some core team in
> > Debian.  It is here for historic reasons but should have moved
> > somewhere
> > more appropriately since it became its general importance.
>
> It ended up being transferred to the rpm team, which got it out of
> the
> med team's
> hair but I'm not convinced the rpm team satisfies "some core team"
> any
> better
> than the med team does.
>
> As far as I can tell Debian has broadly 3 types of teams.
>
> 1. Teams focussed on an application area, for example the med team,
> the
> science team, the games team.
> 2. Teams focussed on a programming language, for example the python
> team, the perl team, the rust team. There is however no such team for
> software written in C, C++ or shell script.
> 3. Teams focussed on a particular piece of software
>
> As far as I can tell this means that there are a bunch of packages
> that
> "fall between the gaps", packages
> that are of high importance to Debian as a whole but are not a great
> fit
> for any team. They either end up not associated with a team at all or
> sometimes associated with a team who happened to be the first to
> use the library.
>
> I decided to get a sample of packages that could be considered
> "core",
> obviously different people have different ideas of what should be
> considered core but I decided to do the following to get a list of
> packages that hopefully most people would consider core.
>
> debootstrapped a new sid chroot
> ran tasksel install standard (a bit less spartan than just the base
> system)
> ran apt-get install build-essential (we are an opensource project,
> development tools are essential to us)
> ran apt-get install dctrl-tools (arguablly not core, but I needed it
> run the test commands and it's only one package)
>
> There were 355 packages installed, built from 223 source packages. I
> got
> a list of source packages with
> the command
>
> grep-dctrl installed /var/lib/dpkg/status -n -ssource:package | cut -
> d '
> ' -f 1 | sort | uniq > sourcepks.txt
>
> I then extracted the source stanzas with.
>
> grep-dctrl -e -F Package `sed "s/.*/^&$/" sourcepks.txt | paste -s -d
> '|'`
> /var/lib/apt/lists/deb.debian.org_debian_dists_sid_main_source_Source
> s >
> sourcestanzas.txt

> [...]

+1 for team maintainership, especially of core packages.

To walk the walk, I've asked the Kernel Team to have iproute2
it's now done: https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/iproute2

It's a low-hanging fruit given there's an existing team it clearly fits
into, but it's a start.

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi