Re: What to do with merged /usr and dpkg-fsys-usrunmess

On Wed, Apr 06, 2022 at 12:03:55PM +0200, Krzysztof Sobiecki wrote:
> Hi,
> I saw warning and it advised me to use dpkg-fsys-usrunmess:
> But now I see: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1008486
> And even without that there are problems with that tool:
>
> Now what I'm supposed to do? Wait for dpkg-fsys-usrunmess-unmess?
> Is my system broken because I have used dpkg-fsys-usrunmess(that dpkg
> advised me to do?).
> As a Debian user I'm confused and a bit angry.

For an user: these boats are currently unstable, it's best to sit tight --
they topple only if you move around, especially when jumping between them.

> What is way forward?

That's the subject of a series of flamewars second in length and intensity
only to the systemd debacle.  You don't want to go there.

The usrmerged state, while wished for by some, is currently pretty broken
unless you refrain from a number of actions that are natural for packagers
(inside and outside Debian) and users to do, this is considered unacceptable
by the dpkg maintainer and eg. me.

There is a proposal for a constructive patch set to dpkg that _may_ resolve
this without nasty hacks everywhere; the patches themselves haven't been
AFAIK implemented yet but there is much hope.

If that fails, the drama will resume, with the big question being "WHY?".

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ Eight legs good, four legs bad! -- when your drider pwns a
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ smelly goodie centaur.