Re: Q: systemd-timer vs cron

Am 14.03.22 um 20:43 schrieb Josh Triplett:
Michael Biebl wrote:
I'd agree here. user crontabs are such a niche case where systemd's
own facilities don't provide a direct replacement.

That said, my main point was about packages shipping cron files.

As a distro we'd benefit if those shipped native systemd timers
(instead or in addition). I don't think we have any packages in the
archive that make direct use of user crontabs?

If all packages shipped native systemd timers I could envision that at
some point it would make sense to stop installing cron by default and
users that need or want user crontab can just run apt install cron.

Perhaps a first step would be to promote lintian's
`missing-systemd-timer-for-cron-script`
(https://lintian.debian.org/tags/missing-systemd-timer-for-cron-script)
from "pedantic" to "warning"? If that were fixed for the majority of
packages, `cron` could then become priority optional, with a release
note suggesting to install it to support user crontabs.

Probably a good idea, yeah.