Re: Seeking consensus for some changes in adduser

On Fri, 11 Mar 2022 10:45:50 -0500, Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org>
wrote:
>I don't have a really strong preference either way. Maybe carry a patch
>until just before freeze to bubble stuff up during testing? Maybe allow
>an environment variable to override (either way?) to facilitate testing?
>The problem is that the systems most likely to blow up (because they're
>using ancient scripts) are also really unlikely to suddenly start using
>dot usernames, so breaking them for the sake of correctness on other
>systems seems gratuitous. If there isn't already, maybe some kind of
>lintian script check (though that seems probably challenging for static
>analysis)? In the end, there are already so many ways to shoot yourself
>in the foot with shell scripts if you don't follow all the disorganized
>rules every single time that letting this be the reason to disallow dot
>usernames seems extreme.

[^[:alpha:]]chown[[:space:]][^[:space:]]+\.[^[:space:]] is found 829
times in Debian, mostly in docs and comments, but also in a few live
scripts. I think that we still have some way to go until we get rid of
the dot notation in chown calls.

This would be a nice idea for an MBF. Sadly I do not have the time to
do that. I have filed a wishlist bug for a lintian check.

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |