Re: Seeking consensus for some changes in adduser

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 06:37:58AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 00:04:38 +0100, Ansgar <ansgar@43-1.org> wrote:
> >On Wed, 2022-03-09 at 17:29 -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> >> Those are actually unrelated--the big reason for the more permissive
> >> umask is to allow people to seamlessly work with other people in a
> >> group, especially within setgid shared directories. Those shared
> >> directories can be anywhere, and are likely *not* in a single user's
> >> home.

> >Setting a default ACL on project directories seems a technical better
> >solution for this problem. It would only affect permissions of files
> >that should intentionally be group-readable, not all files created
> >anywhere.

> Are we using ACLs bei Default already in other places of the Debian
> system?

We are using filesystem capabilities; and as far as I'm aware we have no
filesystems that support fscaps extended attributes but NOT acls, nor am I
aware of any archive formats that would preserve fscaps without also
preserving acls.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/