Re: Seeking consensus for some changes in adduser

On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 14:35:52 -0600, Richard Laager <rlaager@debian.org>
wrote:
>If the admin can change the default DIR_MODE that applies to system user
>home directories, then any postinst script doing `adduser --system`
>needs to also explicitly chmod its home directory if it needs anything
>more permissive than 700 or more restrictive than 755. This is true
>today and remains true whether or not the default DIR_MODE is changed.

Anything that NEEDS to be written in postinst scripts is bad. I'd
rather implement a SYSTEM_DIR_MODE setting that applies to directories
created during creation of a --system user.

Would that help with the issue?

>> How would chown handle the dot case intelligently?
>
>Something along the lines of see if the user exists.

Michael Stone has elaborated on that topic and told us how chown
already behaves.

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |