Re: Seeking consensus for some changes in adduser

On Tue, Mar 08, 2022 at 05:49:04PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> (2)
> #774046 #520037
> Which special characters should we allow for account names?

Please consider the leading character separately from the rest of the
characters:

- leading digits sometimes causes programs to parse a 'username' as an
  'user id' instead; you can see some of this here:
  I know I've seen more instances of this over the years.

- leading dash may cause the username to be treated as command line
  options in some programs. I've lost references to this happening.

While you can argue these are bugs in the programs involved, they do
happen in the wild. Thus, I'd like to suggest that the regex be more
restrictive for the first character.

Thanks