Re: proposed MBF: packages still using source format 1.0

On 08/03/22 at 17:10 +0100, Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues wrote:
> I did exactly that and rebuilt all the packages found by Lucas with the
> following changes:
>
>     $ mkdir -p debian/source
>     $ echo '3.0 (quilt)' >debian/source/format
>
> 141 source packages produce bit-by-bit reproducible binary packages after
> applying this change:
>
> [..]
>
> An additional 223 source packages produce bit-by-bit reproducible binary
> packages after applying this change:

Thanks a lot for this analysis.

I went a bit further and investigated a few packages that are not
in your list, just to provide examples of where issues could arise.

There are 266 packages not in your lists.

101 packages are native packages, and thus should probably be converted
to 3.0 (native). However some use a patch system (examples: mgetty,
libapache2-mod-auth-plain, vde2) or have a debian revision (example:
vanessa-socket).

Out of the 165 other packages, some fail to build (before the change),
such as gsfonts. Others are known to be unreproducible (example:
sofia-sip) and thus cannot be tested that way.

Finally, some result in different binary packages due to a GCC issue
that embeds the build path. If they are built in the same directory,
they result in the same binary packages after migration to 3.0.
(examples: mpclib3, libcompface, netselect, opus-tools)

Other that the known conflict with git workflows, I did not find any case
where migration would result in significant problems.

Lucas