Re: MBF: valgrind-if-available

On Sun, 2022-02-20 at 19:45 +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:

> A lot of packages Build-Depend on valgrind, in order to run checks for
> memory leaks, data races and what not during the testsuite.  Alas, valgrind
> is not available on some architectures, even release (armel) or want-to-be-
> release (riscv64).  Keeping the list current requires watching the valgrind
> package, and not just the list it declares but archs where it actually
> builds on (not x32...) and works (as of today all, but that wasn't always
> the case).

This problem seems like one that will continue to happen as people add
valgrind to their build-deps, so I wonder if this should be a lintian
check and a Debian Janitor fixer rather than a once-off MBF.

> You can now replace that list by:
>     Build-Depends: valgrind-if-available

I wonder if there could be a better way to do this, perhaps the
valgrind package should be available on all arches but empty on the
ones where valgrind isn't available or doesn't work? Alternatively,
perhaps the valgrind-if-available binary package should get merged into
the valgrind source package for ease of keeping the arches in sync?

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise