Re: Automated copyright reviews using REUSE/SPDX as alternative to DEP-5

On Tuesday, February 8, 2022 10:39:36 AM EST Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Stephan Lachnit (2022-01-26 12:49:34)
>
> > - What is an SPDX bill of materials?
> > It is a machine-readable format that specifies the licenses of each
> > file in tag/value style like DEP-5. However compared to DEP-5 it is
> > much less human readable, i.e. it includes much more meta information,
> > and does not contain the license texts.
> >
> > - What has this to do with Debian?
> > My idea is to allow SPDX documents in addition to DEP-5. The advantage
> > is that - if supported upstream - REUSE can generate such reports
> > automatically during package build time, so there is no need to write
> > d/copyright manually anymore.
>
> I am sceptical towards this proposal.
>
> An important feature to me with current machine-readable format is that
> really it is machine-and-human-readable.
>
> Another important feature to me is that there is only one format (in
> addition to unformatted content, which hopefully we can put past us at
> some point).
>
> Today, I can as DD help proof-read and change *any* package in Debian.
>
> If we permit a debian/copyright format that is not human-readable, it
> means that I cannot confidently proof-read and change the contents of
> the debian subdir without the help of machine-parsers, and I would need
> to know two formats with different goals.
>
> I would like to instead welcome the REUSE developers in helping Debian
> evolve next version of the existing machine-readable format to better
> align with SPDX.

Since Debian policy requires verbatim copies of licenses (or links to /usr/
share/common-licenses), I think any policy compliant debian/copyright will
have to be human readable, but I'm not that familiar with SPDX, so maybe it
will surprise me.

I would be good to understand how this proposal supports Debian Policy.

Scott K