We should trim the base system to be more container friendly

Hi,

On Mon, 24 Jan 2022, Sébastien Delafond wrote:
> That's where you come into play: it would be nice if you could share
> what are — according to you — the most important projects/improvements
> that Debian ought to make. You can share your ideas here by replying to
> this email, but it would be interesting to file them as new issues in
> the "grow-your-ideas" project and then reply here pointing to your new
> issue:

I filed https://salsa.debian.org/debian/grow-your-ideas/-/issues/20 which
states:

We should trim the base system to be more container friendly

# The problem

Our base system is too big: building containers on top of Debian ends up
with huge containers even for trivial applications.

# Actual situation

Current Debian docker images are more than 50Mb compressed for the normal
variant, about 30Mb compressed for the slim variant. While it will never
be possible to reach the size of alpine (3Mb compressed), we can do much
better than this.

# Expected situation

We trim down our base system to get rid of perl and other parts that are
taking lots of space without adding any real value. We replace perl
scripts with C applications, we move bash out of the essential set, etc.

We end up with a much smaller docker images and Debian becomes more
popular to build containers thanks to its vast collection of packages.

This would also helps to reduce the footprint of Debian for VM/cloud
servers, for embedded systems, etc.

Cheers,
--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀   Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>