Re: NEW processing friction

On Mon, Feb 07, 2022 at 12:06:24AM -0700, Sean Whitton wrote:

> When we treat any of the above just like other RC bugs, we are accepting
> a lower likelihood that the bugs will be found, and also that they will
> be fixed....

Another part of this discussion which shouldn't be lost is the
probabiltiy that these bugs will even *exist* (since if they don't
exist, they can't be found :-P) in the case where there is a NEW
binary package caused by a shared library version bump (and so we have
libflakey12 added and libflakey11 dropped as binary packages) and a
NEW source package.

If we can't do anything else, I suspect we can reduce project a
friction a lot of we only subject packages to copyright hazing when it
is a NEW source package, and not when there is a NEW binary package
caused by some usptream maintainers not being able to maintain ABI
backwards compatibility.

Granted, I'm being selfish here since that's where I experience the
friction, but I'm a big believer in half a loaf being better than
none.

					- Ted