Re: Legal advice regarding the NEW queue

Timo Röhling <roehling@debian.org> writes:

> The FTP team review should focus on these types of mistakes, and not
> only with new packages: any "suspicious" upload should be rerouted to a
> POLICY queue for additional verification.  There is some prior art with
> the auto-REJECT on Lintian errors, which could be extended to a
> three-way decision (ACCEPT, POLICY REVIEW, REJECT).

I feel like it would also be a lot easier to get volunteers to look at
packages that had already been flagged, rather than do green-field reviews
of every package everyone uploads (most of which are entirely fine or have
at most minor issues).  It certainly feels like a more interesting problem
to me!  "Here are a few things that looked weird, please manually look at
this package to see if they're a problem."

Or even "this package has maintainer scripts that aren't just
debhelper-generated boilerplate, please look at them and make sure they're
not going to run rm -r / or something crazy."

> For instance, we could flag epoch bumps or major version numbers which
> skip ahead significantly (think 020220101 instead of 0.20220101). We can
> certainly continue to flag new binaries and potential copyright
> violations (e.g., packages with incompatible licenses or files with
> "(?i)(?:do|must) not distribute" in their headers), or anything else we
> consider important. The automated checks need not be perfect as long as
> we avoid false negatives on the critical issues.

Exactly.  We're not going to catch everything, to be sure, but we're not
catching everything *now*, and improvements of automation scale in ways
that trying to do more painstaking human review do not.