Re: build-depend on autoconf-archive and rm convenience copy in orig.tar.gz?

On Wed, 2022-01-19 at 18:43 +0200, Thomas Koch wrote:

> My package ships two convenience copies from autoconf-archive in it's
> m4 folder. Should I

In my experience with libpst, it had embedded copies of Python/boost
macros from autoconf-archive that were modified and the modifications
hadn't been sent back to autoconf-archive upstream and they changed the
API of the macros in a way that was incompatible with the upstream API
and caused FTBFS when using the autoconf-archive upstream macros
because configure.ac used the modified API instead of the upstream API.

My solution to this was to get a patch into libpst upstream switching
to the autoconf-archive upstream API. That patch later got reverted, so
that the package would build on CentOS 6 direct from the VCS. Later
upstream orphaned libpst so I took over the project, removed the m4
files and promptly rediscovered, redebugged and refixed the issue.

So my suggestion to you is to figure out which version of the macros
from which autoconf-archive version you have, then figure out if they
are modified, then discuss the situation with upstream to ensure they
understand the situation and won't revert any patch, then send upstream
a patch if they like the idea, then switch from the upstream tarballs
to the upstream VCS for the Debian orig.tar.gz, so that prebuilt files
(like ./configure) and embedded copies aren't present in the Debian
orig.tar.gz and you can be certain that Debian can rebuild the build
system accurately solely from Debian packages. Optionally it would be a
good idea to compare the upstream tarball with the upstream VCS and
account for any differences between the two.

Personally I'd really like autotools tarball to be changed to create
multiple tarballs instead of one. One with VCS contents, one with
autotools embedded copies (config.guess, m4 macros etc), one with other
embedded copies, one with autotools prebuilt files and one with other
prebuilt files. Then users and distros could choose how many of the
upstream tarballs to consume.

--
bye,
pabs