Re: The future of src:ntp

Bernhard Schmidt wrote on 17/01/2022:
> ntpsec and ntp should be largely configuration compatible, so even a
> takeover of the binary package names might be practical.

I played a bit with ntpsec some time ago, I remember being very pleased
with it, and I think it can very well replace ntp in Bookworm. The
incompatible changes [1] are not blockers IMHO, provided that they're
documented.

I'd prefer making ntp a dummy package depending on ntpsec rather than
having src:ntpsec takeover bin:ntp. A dummy package will allow us to
easily switch back to ntp from ntp.org if needed, and to document the
incompatible changes in NEWS.Debian.

Paride

[1] https://docs.ntpsec.org/latest/ntpsec.html#incompatible