Re: Use of License-Reference in debian/copyright allowed?

Quoting John Paul Adrian Glaubitz (2022-01-16 20:10:08)
> On 1/16/22 20:06, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > For anyone considering to adopt this pattern, it is quite some time
> > ago that I helped Vasudev package Roboto fonts, and I have
> > simplified and extended my writing style to use the shorter field
> > "Reference" and also use it to reference sources of copyright
> > holders and license grants when not contained in licensed file
> > itself (with a little special twist of self-referencing canonical
> > statements in debian/copyright).
>
> I agree it's a great idea as it saves a lot of time. Writing an
> acceptable debian/copyright file can be quite frustrating so this is a
> very welcome improvement.

It is a small step towards a bigger goal: Licensecheck producing
directly usable debian/copyright files.

> > I use the package ghostscript as my sort-of reference package.  Look
> > at that for my newest inventions on copyright file writing and
> > checking.
> >
> > See also https://wiki.debian.org/CopyrightReviewTools
>
> Thanks, I'll have a look!
>
> Thanks a lot for the quick and detailed response!

Thanks for showing interest in my license writing style.  Makes me warm
and fuzzy inside to know that others notice my work in arguably one of
the darker corners of our packages.

If you (or others) have a package with particularly tricky licensing,
then please tell me, as a) they might help improve licensecheck, and b)
I might be in the mood to roll up my sleeves and help you out concretely
- not only getting the debian/copyright file done *once* but also make
it actually _maintainable_.

 - Jonas