Re: chromium: Update to version 94.0.4606.61 (security-fixes)

On Thu, 23 Dec 2021 01:49:53 -0500
Andres Salomon <dilinger@queued.net> wrote:

> On 12/13/21 5:31 PM, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:

> >> I started doing just that:
> >> https://salsa.debian.org/dilinger/chromium (v96 and misc-fixes
> >> branches).
> > As a side note: If any of the system/* patches cause issues, feel
> > free to switch to the vendored copies. Vendoring in general is
> > frowned upon since it requires that a fix in a libraries spreads
> > out to all vendored copies, but for Chromium there's a steady
> > stream of Chromium-internal security issues anyway, so for all
> > practical purposes it doesn't make a difference if the Chromium
> > security releases also include a fix for a vendored lib like ICU.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >          Moritz
>

> I've got 96.0.4664.110 building on both bullseye and sid, and am
> currently
>
> debugging some crashes. The only thing I had to vendor was some nodejs
>
> libraries, although it's very tempting to take a chainsaw through the
> various
>
> patches and re-vendor a bunch of other libraries as Jeff suggested.
> Still on
>
> the v96 branch of https://salsa.debian.org/dilinger/chromium

Alright, crashes are solved and the packages are now usable. After some
cleanups (listing CVEs in changelogs, merging/pushing a bunch of
commits in my branch, possibly dropping strong stack protection from
builds to silence warnings from older clang versions, and going through
lintian errors/warnings), it should be ready to upload.

How should I handle this? NMU to sid, let people try it out, and then
deal with buster/bullseye? Upload everything all at once? I'm also
going to try building for buster, unless the security team doesn't
think I should bother. That may involve vendoring some additional
libraries, so we don't have to carry a bunch of additional patches.

I also haven't heard from anyone on the chromium team yet - should I
add myself as an uploader and do a normal (non-NMU) upload? Do any of
them care?

Thanks,
Andres