Re: Remove packages from NEW queue?

On Monday, December 6, 2021 8:58:15 AM EST Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Jonas,
>
> I've thought that it is probably not my turn to answer your questions
> but since there was no answer yet I'd like to report from my experience.
>
> Am Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 05:21:45PM +0100 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:
> > Is "Age" used to rank processing of NEW requests?
>
> I have some evidence that "Age" is at least not the only ranking
> factor for processing NEW requests.  I've made the experience that
> the following hints are well perceived by ftpmaster:
>
>    1. Package in new fixes RC bug #xy
>    2. Package has just a new binary name and might be easier
>       to process than other packages
>    3. Package has some importance for reason XY (this worked
>       extremely well in April last year when we had the Debian
>       Med Covid-19 sprint - I observed processing times less
>       than 24 hours and I can't say frequently enough how thankful
>       I am about this
>
> It is not always clear to me what channel is best for submitting
> those hints.  IRC usefully works nicely, but not always.  Responding
> to the mail that a package is in new can be helpful as well.  For
> the Covid-19 sprint we had setup a dedicated Wiki page.
>
> > Is that documented somewhere?
>
> As far as I know it is not documented.
>
> > Or alternatively, do anyone have some (non cargo cult)
> > empirical knowledge about that?
>
> See above about my experience with ranking.  I also think that my habit
> to say thank you to ftpmaster whenever there is a sensible chance is
> also a good way to motivate ftpmaster to do a work which I personally
> would consider not the most thrilling task on my own desk.  It probably
> helps more than telling that ftpmaster is slow in working down the
> queue.  So:  Thank you to ftpmaster for processing the queue.
>
> However, I wished at least one member of ftpmaster team would lurk here
> on this list to clarify questions like these.  What I was explicitly
> told by more than one ftpmaster is that kind of "free text" e-mails in
> their mailbox tend to be forgotten in the large amount of so many mails
> to this mailbox I can not even imagine.  Thus I do not ftpmaster in my
> response which I would usually do in cases like this.

Speaking only for myself here, not the team as a whole:

The tools we use default to age order, so if one just starts working through
packages in the order given, it's oldest first.  Personally, I rather rarely do
that.  I don't have a lot of time for this (I'm only recently returned from a
hiatus in fact) and so I try to focus on packages of types that I'm more
familiar with so that I can accomplish more with the time I do have.

I took time off of $work to focus on New for the COVID-19 sprint because I
thought it was important, so that level of service should not be generally
expected.  It was a very special case.

IRC (#debian-ftp) works best for me.  It's actually less likely to get lost
than email.

Scott K