Re: uscan roadmap

Quoting Gard Spreemann (2021-12-02 12:31:30)

> Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I also wonder if it is time to split debian/watch out of Debian
> > source packages, since upstream download locations generally change
> > independently of the Debian package and so information about
> > upstream download locations probably should be maintained
> > independently.
>
> I very much agree. I don't understand the logic of tying upstream
> checking to a particular version of a source package. The fact that
> some version of a package once upon a time could locate and download
> new upstream versions using a particular recipe is of no use if said
> recipe becomes outdated at any later time.
>
> It makes a lot more sense to provide this service in a way that allows
> it to be modified/updated/improved/fixed with no regards to the actual
> packages that may use it. That could be as simple as a uscan service
> with watch files that can be individually and independently modified.

I find it helpful for our packages to include information about where
and how (at the time of its release) that package was monitoring for
upstream releases.  It helps working decentralized - both for preparing
packages for Debian and for working on Debian-derived packages, both
without needing access to somewhere central for this "watch"
information.

Therefore I like the proposal to have Debian project scanners
aggressively look for _newest_ watch file for a packaging project,
including looking up declared Vcs-* hints for not-yet-released work.

 - Jonas